Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Book

A lot has happen in the last year. Your niece was born. Charity named her Madison Michelle, after you, and we can all see a part of you in her: big brown eyes; strong; great disposition. Charity’s a great Mom and she fusses over that baby something awful.

Mom and I sold the old house and moved into a condo. We traded in our cars and got different ones. We threw out a lot of junk. And the family went through some really hard times. But we got through it. And we’re still a family and we still love each other very much.

Your Mom is encouraging me to write a book. She wants me to write the book you would have written. She even sent me away for a week, to a retreat center, so I could get started. And I’ve decided she’s right. I will write this book. I can’t think of a better way to remember you.

Some day, when Madison’s old enough she’ll pick up that book and read about her Aunt Michelle; about your courage, about your compassion, about your smile and warmth and bright laugh. And she will sit on the couch and read that book to her brothers and sisters and cousins and someday, to her children. And they will know. They will know that they had an Aunt Michelle and that she was a wonderful person.

And that memory will hold us. It will hold our family until we each, someday, one-by-one, come to join you. And I know that when we do, we will pick-up right where we left off.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John,
What a precious gift your book will be for anyone who is blessed by an opportunity to read it. I take time daily to remember Michelle and send all of you thoughts of loving care. Peace, dear friend, especially during these next days. Give hugs to all for me. Joni

April 05, 2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger Steve Godfrey said...

John,

I really enjoyed reading your journal and appreciate your example in processing grief. I wrote about your family, Michelle, and Iraq today in my own blog:

http://churchintheworld.blogspot.com/

I hope that what I wrote will be an encouragement to you, and that my post will seem appropriate. If my post seems otherwise, please let me know.

April 13, 2007 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Wittmer, Last year I left you a message for the anniversary of Michelle's death. I felt you had made her proud. Your new decision to write a book is an even greater tribute to her and what her life meant here. Your words and truthful feelings will be embraced by many. I hope to see you on Larry King or Oprah making the world fully aware of Michelle's life and how again she mattered to not just your family but to our country. Make her shine brightly from the other side of the sky.

April 14, 2007 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Witmer,

I have been reading your blogs since the beginning. Since I first heard of the tragedy that took your Michelle. I guess I've slacked off because I haven't been here in about a month or two.

Let me begin by telling you how I have enjoyed your journals over the past couple of years. Your writing is amazing and when that book comes out, I'll be in line to buy it. You've made me stop and think about a lot of things and to realize that we should cherish what we have because you never know what can happen.

I don't know you or your family but through your writings I feel like I do. You are a GREAT group of people. You've overcome something that I know many others could not.

I know what my own mother went through losing a child that came through Vietnam and drowned just a short time later. He was older than Michelle but nonetheless it was extremely hard on her. His body was never found and it took alot for my mother to gain closure. So much of what I've read on your site has made me realize what she had gone through for quite a few years. It also has given me somethings to think about, by applying it to my own life. I thank you for giving me that understanding.

I hope you choose to continue writing here or in your other journal. They are both great reads. And as I said, when that book comes out, I'll be there in line to buy my copy. And, hopefully, someday, I can meet the man himself and thank you in person for all you've done and all you've given.

God Bless.

July 10, 2007 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

November 11, 2008 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home